Welcome back to another year of ghoulish fun! It is that time of year again to start planning your eerie builds for the 2024 SciFiantasy Halloween Group Build. For the seventh year in a row, we will be holding our annual Halloween Group Build. Year after year we see so many great builds for Halloween and we are sure that this year will be no different. So let us get straight to the rules so you can start your builds!!
SciFiantasy Annual Halloween GB Rules For 2024:
- You must enter a new kit. Kits or 3D prints that have a majority of the work done will not be permitted in the group build. We prefer that the kit or 3D print is brand new. This is to get everyone started on the same foot. We will make exceptions such as parts were clipped off a sprue, one arm was put together, or parts were sprayed with primer and nothing was built yet. If you are unsure please contact us.
- What is considered a build? It can be a kit, 3D printed, or scratch-built. Just putting together or printing out a file is not considered a build. A build has work done to it such as sanding, filling, gluing, painting, etc. Models or 3D prints with nothing done to them will not be accepted.
- Your build must be Halloween-themed. Something creepy, eerie, spooky anything along those lines. If you are unsure if your build fits in please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can help you out.
- Your build can be any scale, manufacturer, material, scratch build, 3D printed, or more as long as it is new and creepy.
- Your build will be made into an article for the main site Hobby Link International for the modeling community to enjoy.
- You do not have to be a HLI Community member but we encourage you to join and post the progress of your build with the community.
- On Halloween night we will have a live YouTube stream to show off everyone’s hard work!
Photo Entries For Articles And The Live Show
- (A) To have your build featured on the main site and in the yearly livestream please make sure you follow these rules.
(B) You may enter up to 5 completed Halloween-themed builds for the 2024 Halloween Group Build.
- (A) You need to submit 5 to no more than 15 pictures of your build. Please use different angles such as front, rear, side, 3/4 side angles, top, and others. The more angles the better viewing options.
(B) With your photo submissions either through email or on the community forum we need a small article about your build. This is to add substance to those who come and view your build on the main HLI Site. In your article include the manufacturer or if it is 3d printed, scale or approximate inches of the build, and a summary about your build such as paints used, why you chose the build you did, and so on. You do not have to write a huge article 4 to 5 sentences will do.Examples Of Pictures For The Judges:1 of 141 of 7
- Make sure you have a clean background for the best viewing possible. Pictures with cluttered backgrounds will not be accepted and will ask you to resubmit your pictures.
- You need to number order your pictures in a three-digit format (001.jpeg, 002.jpeg, 003, and so on) this makes it easier for us to keep your pictures in order.
- Submit your pictures to either our official email email@example.com
- Or you can join the HLI Community at https://www.community.hobbylinkinternational.com and post your completed builds and write-ups in the Annual Group Build Showcase which can be found here.
- If possible please reduce the file size of your pictures. You can do this in your photo editor or you can use a site like https://www.compressor.io
- File size reduction to 1mb if possible. This is to save space on our servers the bigger the pictures the more room they take up on the server.
Judging Of The Halloween Entries
In 2024 we will have judges choosing their top 3 Halloween Builds for 2024. You must have the best quality pictures possible for the judges to go over your work. There will not be a community vote.
Paul Tosney, Tommy Conklin, and Kenny Conklin are eligible to build along with you during the group build. But, the three HLI STAFF Members will be ineligible to have any of their builds judged. This is to keep the judging fair and no favoritism shown towards the three HLI Staff Members. The three of us are eligible to be judges of all HLI Group Builds. The 2024 Halloween Group Build Judges will be as follows.
JUDGE 1 – Joe Hudson – Columnist at FineScale Modeler Magazine
JUDGE 2 – George Seletas – Contest Chief Wonderfest USA
JUDGE 3 – TBA
2024 Halloween Group Build Awards And Prizes
We will continue the tradition of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place trophies created by HLI for our GB entrants. But, in 2024 we will be adding prizes to go along with the winner’s awards. We will be talking to companies to sponsor the added prizes. If we do not get any sponsors we will supply the prizes from HLI. All prizes will be announced in the future.
If a contestant enters more than one build and the judges choose one of your builds it eliminates your other builds from contention. There will be no clean sweeps of the awards.
The Most Important Rule Of All
Have fun and enjoy your build!!! We love seeing your work and we hope you have a very Spooky Halloween!!!
This build begins on November 1, 2023, and ends on October 29, 2024, at 5:00 pm EST. We need all pictures and write-ups by this deadline.
The picture below is correctly sized to be used as a thumbnail for your YouTube Videos. If you are making videos for the group build we ask that you title them The SciFiantasy 2023 Halloween GB. This way if people search they will find all of our builds.