As always, the issue was packed very well; wrapped in paper and then inside a cardboard envelope. The magazine is printed on 52 high-quality glossy pages and all the text is in both German and English and the quality of the English translation is perfect. The photographs are all good quality and never before published.
The magazine starts as usual with an editorial from the editor. Here Axel tells us that this issue of U-boot im Focus will concentrate on a 3 larger articles; U-Boats in the Spanish civil war and the development, the futility of U-Boat operations against the Normandy invasion fleet and use of anti-ASDIC coatings. The next item, as usual, is the reader’s forum, where additional information is published for previous issues.
Next, we get into the content of the magazine itself. The subjects of the various topics are
- 54 pages, 56 photos – 3 in colour, 2 coloured conning tower side views, 1 coloured conning tower front view, 1 coloured boat-side view, 2 coloured emblems, 1 coloured document, 2 coloured maps, reader’s forum
- Photos with a story: In Secret Action for General Franco
- German Submarines in the Spanish Civil War
- Unknown Emblems: This is what U-629’s emblem actually looked like
- Commanders: Kptlt. Herbert Schultze (U-48)
- Conning Towers: U-Boats against the Invasion – Hopeless Surface Operations
- Operations by U-766 as Part of the Landwirt Group from June to August 1944
- Documents: Commemorative Document of Department III of the Brest Naval Shipyard
- Scenery: “Chatting” from Boat to Boat
- Background: “Alberich” – The German U-Boats’ Cap of Invisibility
- Cap Badges: From “Glückauf” to “Bobby the Elephant” (U-141, U-667, U-471)
- As well as photos of U-100, U-73, U-204, U-3527 und U-3528
Another great bunch of previously unseen photos, with excellent commentaries.
If you’re interested in the Kriegsmarine at all, then this magazine is of special interest to you and highly recommended.
The best way to get these is via the subscriptions that are available here. The publisher now offers free shipping within Germany and shipping has decreased for some other countries too.