I’m hoping I can spit this one out by the end of the month. It’s a simple kit with enough detail to please. Most of the parts clean up is already done; right now I’m working on getting the cockpit painted and detailed so the fuselage can be closed up.

I’ve done a little dry fitting of the fuselage to wings and spinner. I don’t anticipate too many problems. Love those lines!

Well, I thought I had some Interior Green paint left but it seems I’ve run out. So I decided to mix my own instead. I used some olive green and light grey; it’s a little dark but will do the trick.

The IP is lightly dry brushed with Vallejo Aluminum. The kit seat is rather unexciting as usual; I decided that this would be an OOB build so I added a simple “Sutton” style harness made out of paper. Saves me from getting a resin seat 🙂

Next, we’re going to close this fuselage up!

This kit is coming together really nicely! After getting the fuselage halves together and mating them to the wings, the fit is almost perfect. I sanded the seams and sprayed a little primer along them to check for gaps. Only had to use a tiny bit of Tamiya basic putty and in some cases just a quick brush of Mr. Surfacer.

Now I’m just waiting for putty to dry on one of the exhaust fairings; I was trying to carefully remove a sprue gate and the cut wasn’t clean. Should be able to hit it with primer tomorrow!

Primer is on and things are looking swell! Next up will be a little pre-shading and then the main colors will go on. The canopy has a seam running down the center that needs taking care of; I’ve removed the bulk of it but it will need more polishing and probably a quick dip in Pledge wax.

Started spraying the Medium Sea Grey on the underside of the Spitfire. I’ve lightened the grey to offset the wash it will receive later. I’m pleased with the variation so far. Can’t wait to dirty this bird.

I love the combo of Ocean Grey and RAF Dark Green. I enjoy modeling as a whole but painting is the really fun part for me. Since the green took out most of the pre-shading I’ll be going back over all of it with lighter mixes for tonal variation.

As a concurrent activity, I’ve also been getting all the other parts ready for final assembly. I don’t like leaving small fiddly stuff to the end, and this helps to keep me motivated. Momentum is good!

So I’m not a purist by any stretch; usually, I have an idea in my mind about how I want the kit to look in the end and it’s probably never 100% accurate.

Having said that, the instructions don’t call for yellow on the leading edges of this particular aircraft. After looking at photos of Mk XIV’s I decided I wanted more color on this build and went ahead with it. I’m glad I did.

I had considered aftermarket decals for this build but in the end, I decided to use the kit markings. The selection for AM was sparse and I didn’t want to end up with several sets for different Marks I may not use later.

The kit decals were a little challenging. They didn’t want to slide off the backing easily and some were brittle. I ended up ripping a few, fortunately, they were salvageable. With plenty of setting solution and pricking little air pockets with a needle, they turned out okay.

I’ll let them dry thoroughly before a flat clear coat and hopefully, some strategic weathering will hide any silvering.

We’re in the home stretch. The majority of this build has gone very well. The fit is good and the painting portion was fun. I will say that I rushed the decals and while they’re okay, they’re not the best job I’ve done. It’s difficult to discern the silvering in photos, but there is a little. Lesson learned, avoid the temptation to speed through a build.

It’s complete, and a pretty quick build too! My goal for the Spitfire was to do it out of box and all in all I’m happy with the results. I did add a few details though in an attempt to enhance without AM:

-A reflector gunsight glass was added (clear plastic from a greeting card box)
-The air intake was blanked out with a sheet styrene plate (without it you can see into the empty fuselage)
-Seat harness made of paper and a seat cushion cut from a cleaning swab.
-Wire radio aerial
-Cannon barrels were carefully drilled out

I had a canopy mask set laying around, but the precuts didn’t fit very well. In the end, I only used the precut for the top of the windscreen, everything else was masked with Tamiya tape. Finished in Model Master, Vallejo and Tamiya acrylics, Flory’s Clay wash and artist oils.

1 COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.